-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Weather

  • From: Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DH (Rick) Holmes <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:28:50 -0700

Oh not at all <G>  I think we're probably in violent agreement <chuckle>   I
certainly would not dispute that unplugging is better than not unplugging when
you know there is a storm about.  On the other hand, I strongly recommend a
surge protector when you are plugged in.
   Regards from

 Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy",
           ,,,,,,,,
          Ô¿Ô¬
    Cincinnati, Ohio
 Scottsdale, Arizona
 ==========<[0]>===========
 Tuesday  2/28/2006  9:27:26 PM

 "Life is Tough, but it's tougher when you're  stupid."

 --  John Wayne

==========<[O]>==========
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:27:08 +1300, DH (Rick) Holmes wrote:
|  Hi, Bob,
|
|  I agree with all you say here, but would add that to rely on
|  commonly found surge protectors as guard against lightning and
|  therefore not unplugging is not a totally sound belief.  As you
|  say, a lightning 'force field' is virtually unstoppable.  In turn
|  this may cause a surge elsewhere as circuits disabled by the
|  strike attempt to restore their services. I  have been aware of
|  surges occurring when a car hits a powerpole and brings down a
|  power line!
|
|  Destruction of computer data and programs is extremely unlikely
|  when plugs are removed, and this includes modem cables connected
|  to phone lines.
|
|  For the best 'within safety' protection I have a '40gb pocket HDD'
|  to back everything up, and most times this is disconnected from my
|  computer and hopefully no passage of mega-volts will pass through
|  it.as there's no escape to earth.  I won't try for any additional
|  security under present conditions.
|
|  I hope you won't regard this as an argument against your
|  statement. I just as this for the information of the uninitiated.
|
|  All the best
|
|  Rick H
|  Keyboard Cowboy wrote:
| |  Actually, I'd add to that Rick.  The real purpose for a surge
| |  protector is to take a certain amount of spike charge.  It's
| |  measured on joules (sp?) vs. time. Some are better than others.
| |   Most work well for normal surges in line activity, whether
| |  caused by electrical storms or by problems with the power
| |  provided to your home.  Additionally, these surge protectors
| |  have a limited life.  After so many charges, they begin to
| |  degrade and should be replaced.  When your surge protector is
| |  tripped a few times, it might be a good idea to replace it. Now
| |  a direct, or very near hit from lightning will not, as you
| |  said, be protected by a surge protector.  Such a near hit will
| |  cause a "force field" of electricity that it can affect the
| |  electrical devices --even if not plugged in--.  Obviously an
| |  unplugged device is far less likely to be damaged, but it can
| |  be damaged.   About seven years ago when I was building my
| |  house in Cincinnati I was also building a HAM radio room and
| |  did quite a bit of research on lightning.  What I found was
| |  that to have a high degree of confidence in protection, I would
| |  actually have to build a grid in the walls of the room to "soak
| |  up" any electrical charges.  I didn't go that far, but I put a
| |  hell of a ground system in the house, and on the tower near by.
| |
| |  Regards from
| |
| |  Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy",