-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Voice modems/caller ID question

  • From: "Don" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:38:27 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "cristy" <juneybug2004@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 8:00 PM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Voice modems/caller ID question

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to remember how to get my voice modem to let me know who is
> calling me (caller ID).  I cannot recall how I had this working in the
> past, right now it just pops up saying I am getting a call but does not
> give any phone numbers.  Does anyone know what I need to do to get it
> working.  I do not recall paying a fee to have this feature in the past.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cristy

Cristy,

This is most likely a setting in either the modem (a jumper, dip switch or
AT command) or in the software that came with it.  Every brand of modem is
different and every brand of software is different.   Without knowing
anything about either one we can not provide specific help.

First, refer to the owner's manuals and/or help files provided with the
modem and software.
Second, refer to the manufacturers website and the software publishers
website.

Either or both may have tech forums that can help or at a minimum FAQs or
other tech support.  Search on terms like :    settings   configuration
caller-ID   screen display   incoming voice calls   name display   and
variations and combinations thereof.

Third, make sure you are subscribed to the service through your phone
company.

Fourth, make sure the phone lines are properly connected.

If all this fails, please post details about your modem (make, model, serial
number), software (publisher, version) and computer (make, model, operating
system and security/privacy software installed)

Don

PLEASE, if you are able, help the Hurricane Charley, Frances, Ivan and
Jeanne relief efforts.  Your help can be to donate blood, cash, groceries,
clothing, shelter, volunteer time or just thoughts and prayers.  I promise
it will be sincerely appreciated by those that need the assistance.  Call
your favorite religious, volunteer or charitable agencies to learn how you
can help.   Thank you.