-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Virus removal side effects

  • From: "Mervyn D'Souza" <MDSouza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 13:24:57 +0100

Hi Terry,

Just an idea ..have you tried Safe Mode ..ie as windows boots up press F8 and
then choose Safe mode from the menu ..it might let you access the desktop
again. There is also the option of "last know good configuration" on the same
menu. If you get in you might be able to start-programs-accessories-system
tools - system restore and restore from a past back up.

Mervyn
>>> davist@xxxxxxxxxxx 03/05/2005 13:01:14 >>>

After manual removal of a BHOASSI.EXE virus as detailed on Lockergnome, I now
no longer have a working XP desktop.  Windows boots normally, I see the
wallpaper, but no icons, no taskbar (and Windows key doesn't bring it up
either), and no other way of doing anything.  The only thing that can be done
is Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the Task Manager, where I can then choose to
Shutdown, Logoff, etc.  I can also run programs from the File/Run menu, but
attempting to run Explorer.exe does nothing.
I've done a repair install of windows, created another User, all to no avail.

Terry

Tickets are now on sale for the 'Luciano Pavarotti Tribute' British Redcross
Royal Gala Ball on 7th June 2005. Please call 0207 877 7114.

Join the London Triathlon on 6 - 7 August 2005 and swim, cycle and run to raise
funds for the Red Cross. For more information call 0870 170 9112, email
challenges@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or visit www.redspirit.co.uk

This e-mail is intended for the named recipient(s) only.
Its contents are confidential and may only be retained by
the named recipient(s) and may only be copied or
disclosed with the consent of the British Red Cross Society.
If you are not an intended recipient please delete this
e-mail and notify mailadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The British Red Cross Society
registered charity no. 220949.

Internet:  http://www.redcross.org.uk