-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Using DVD-RW's in Windows

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 05:58:44 -0400

Patti,
    I understand now.  As a general rule, there is no need to use InCD in
order to use RW disks.  Standard burning methods will 'erase' when you're
ready to reuse the disks.  Unfortunately, several different companies
decided to go another route and offer up special formatting that could
better emulate hard drives (or really big floppies) without telling folks
that it's difficult to remove that formatting if they wanted to try a
different method.  In hindsight, it's suspiciously close to a standard case
of 'lock them in' so they HAVE to use our products.

    Supposedly, you can use the same program to fully 'erase' the disk,
removing the InCD formatting along with it.  With InVD 4.x, you could right
click on the drive with the RW media in it and choose "InCD Erase" from the
context menu.  Once the disk is wiped, you'll want to treat it just like a
regular DVD-R or +R disk, except that you'll know that you can wipe it again
for reuse when the time comes.  Let us know if you're able to locate this
'erase' feature or if you're unable to reinstall the same program that
formatted them.

Peace,
Gman