-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Tools similar to Ad-Aware. Now Spyware Terminator

  • From: "suzanne" <lailoken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:19:39 -0600

Sandi, as I mentioned previously, the Crawler piece is a add on that is very
similar to the Google tool bar, which I no longer recommend or install as it
has caused issues for my peeps recently.  ST restores the original
configuration of IE - setting msn.com as your home page and whatever the
version of IEs' default search engine was originally.  I have found that
Crawler is effective when a pc is badly infected as it notifies of all
communication, both incoming & outgoing, it will also give you exact details
on the file that is requesting outgoing connection so you can identify it by
location.  it is easy to uninstall, as it adds itself to Add/Remove.

I no longer use AdAware.  it installs a piece that runs continuously but
doesn't seem to do a thing, even with the freeware version.  check your
services and you will see it there.  not all scumware applications will find
all the same things that are running, that is why I use many different
apps... usually starting with CleanUp to rid all temp files, then SpyBot and
after that, going to heavier artillery.

I do quite a bit of research before recommending programs... and I would
NEVER post an answer to a request with one of the bogus spyware removers out
there.  but as with anything else, everyone has their own opinion.  all I
can say is that the programs I recommended to you saved that laptop I was
working on when you posted your question.  it would have been easier for me
to reformat & reload it, but I didn't have the original software.

hth.

~s