-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Strange Folder Created -- GMan

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:01:48 -0500

Judith,
    The image does help in that I didn't realize that it was at the same
level as the system's drive letters.  Knowing that, and having done numerous
(and basically fruitless) searches for anything related to this, I am now
thinking that this folder MAY be similar to the My Documents folder (renamed
to Judith's Documents by Windows) below it.  The My Documents folder there
(sometimes renamed as your is) is actually a virtual folder that does
nothing more than reflect the contents of your true My Documents folder
located inside the Documents and Settings folder on the main OS partition
(in most cases, your C drive).  While you can use the stuff that's in your
MyDocs folder from this location, it's not something that can be easily
deleted (mainly because it's only a ghost of the real folder).  If this is
true, then this jumping folder is either a ghost of a real folder somewhere
else (perhaps buried in your Program Files folder) or it's a corrupted
leftover of something that is no longer installed.

    My suggestion for narrowing this down would be to open up your registry
editor and do a search for the full name of the original folder BEFORE you
click on it.  When you're shown a 'hit', it should include a path statement
to a folder.  Use Windows Explorer to go to that location and see if there's
anything in it (since the one in question shows nothing, the real folder
should be empty, as well).  If there isn't anything in it, right click
somewhere in the right pane of Explorer and select New > Text Document.
There's no need to name it, so don't bother.  Next, Right click on the new
file's icon and select Copy from the menu.  Before minimizing Explorer,
click directly on the jumping folder and see if the new file can be seen
inside it.  If not, minimize Explorer, bring regedit back to the front and
press F3 to make it look for the next instance of your search term.  Rinse &
repeat until you get to the end of the registry (or find a real folder that
causes the file to show up in the jumping one).

    I had you right click and make a Copy of the new text file you made so
that the rest of it will be a little easier to do.  After the first one,
when you get to another real location, just right click in the right pane
and select Paste instead of going through all of the motions to create a new
text file.  The file should appear immediately as long as you don't Copy
something else to your Clipboard during this exercise.            :O)

Peace,
GMan
http://tinyurl.com/2s8x23
"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"