-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Start up programs

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:05:13 -0400

HB,
it really depends on what's running. We were just discussing a similar topic
with running processes and services, as well as running apps in the background
(apart from services). Some things need to run, some obviously do not. Most of
the must-run stuff would be found in the services.

A lot of programs you can stop by either right-clicking on them from the bottom
right and closing them. But, that would just close them for the moment but not
prevent them from starting up again.

Items that run on start-up would most likely be caught either in START > ALL
PROGRAMS > STARTUP or by doing a START > RUN, typing in MSCONFIG and navigating
to the STARTUP tab. You would then uncheck whatever you don't want to start up.

This, however, will not include services. And, while many of the services are
part of Windows, some programs can be installed to run as a service by the
respective software author.

In the startup folder and/or MSCONFIG startup, you can usually determine
right-away whether or not what's running is needed. A lot of software such as
Microsoft Office and some CD tools/viewers/burners will have items running in
the background all the time. But most of the time they're not needed. On the
other hand, applications such as antivirus scanners and firewalls (Nortons and
ZoneAlarm) are a must to run in the background to properly do their job.

If you don't know whether an app must run, you can either ask this group about
a specific app, or you can check Google.com and do a search for the file
running. This will usually yield a satisfactory response.

Hope this helps.

---Troth