-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Sophos AV software

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 00:02:02 -0700

Hi Master,
I have not used there product,
but there 'Sophos Alert System' messages  are the most frequent of
all 10 AV programs mail list I am on.

samples;
From; Sophos Anti-Virus Alerts
Name: W32/KWBot-A
Aliases: W32.Kwbot.Worm, Worm.Win32.SdBot, W32/Moocow-A
Type: Win32 worm
Date: 5 July 2002

A virus identity file (IDE) which provides protection is
available now from our website and will be incorporated into the
August 2002 (3.60) release of Sophos Anti-Virus.

Sophos has received several reports of this worm from the wild.

More information about W32/KWBot-A can be found at
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32kwbota.html

Download the IDE file from
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/kwbot-a.ide

Download a ZIP file containing all the IDE files available for
the current version of Sophos Anti-Virus from
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/ides.zip

Read about how to use IDE files at
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/using.html

~~~~
From; Sophos Anti-Virus Alerts
Name: W32/Duni-A
Aliases: W32.Duni.Worm, I-Worm.Duni, W32/Dadinu
Type: Win32 worm
Date: 4 July 2002
~~~
Sophos Anti-Virus IDE alert: W32/Bajar-B
Name: W32/Bajar-B
Aliases: W32.ZVM@mm, VBS.ZVM@mm, VBS.Bajar.B@mm
Type: Win32 worm
Date: 4 July 2002
~~~~
From; Sophos Anti-Virus ~ alert
Name: W32/Metrion-B
Aliases: Win32-HLLP-Metrion32704-B, Win32.Metrion.37204
Type: Win32 executable file virus
Date: 3 July 2002
~~~~
From; Sophos
Name: W32/Zoek-D
Aliases: I-Worm.Zoek.d, W32/Tcasut
Type: Win32 worm
Date: 2 July 2002
~~~~~~
28 Jun 2002 19:45:43 -0700
Subject: [virusinfo] Sophos enews
Sophos enews: the newswire which brings you up to the minute
reports on virus issues, anti-virus countermeasures, new Sophos
products and product enhancements.

Click on the links to get the full story, or scroll down for an
overview.

YAHA: WORM SPREADING IN THE WILD
http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/analyses/w32yahae.html
http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/articles/yahae2.html

JPEG VIRUS: MORE HYPE THAN HAVOC
http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/articles/perrun2.html
http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/articles/safehex.html

KLEZ STILL DOING THE ROUNDS
http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/press/uk/20020531topten.html

SOPHOS SPREADING THE NEWS IN NEW YORK
http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/events/americas/seminar0702.htm

LAST CHANCE TO WIN IN SOPHOS'S CUSTOMER SURVEY
http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/survey/
http://www.sophos.fr/enews.cgi?=3D/survey/
http://www.sophos.de/enews.cgi?=3D/survey/
http://www.sophos.co.jp/enews.cgi?=3D/survey/
http://esp.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/survey/

KEEP YOUR INTRANET UPDATED WITH VIRUS AND HOAX INFORMATION
http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/virusinfo/infofeed/

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=3D
ENEWS EXPANDED

YAHA: WORM SPREADING IN THE WILD
Users should be on their guard against a Win32 worm that
arrives as an email attachment and tries to disable PC
security software. W32/Yaha-E disguises itself by choosing
from a wide variety of subject lines and filenames, so
organisations should ensure their anti-virus software is up
to date.

http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/analyses/w32yahae.html
http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/articles/yahae2.html

JPEG VIRUS: MORE HYPE THAN HAVOC
Sophos is reassuring users that a new .JPG graphic virus -
allegedly written by a 21 year-old Filipino - only works if
the user is already infected with a Windows executable virus.
Although Sophos has received no reports of W32/Perrun-A
spreading in the wild, users should remember to practise safe
computing at all times.

http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/articles/perrun2.html
http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/articles/safehex.html

KLEZ STILL DOING THE ROUNDS
For the third month in a row, a variant of the Klez worm
dominated the top ten list of viruses, compiled from calls to
Sophos's technical support department in May. W32/Klez-H,
which randomly generates subject lines, email text and
attachments, accounted for half of all calls, despite Sophos
having offered protection against the threat for some time.

http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/press/uk/20020531topten.html
http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/downloads/ide/

LAST CHANCE TO WIN IN SOPHOS'S CUSTOMER SURVEY
Don't miss the chance to have your say about Sophos's products
and service in the Sophos customer satisfaction survey. Fill
in the online questionnaire in English, French, German,
Japanese or Spanish now and you could win a portable MP3
recorder.

http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/survey/
http://www.sophos.fr/enews.cgi?=3D/survey/
http://www.sophos.de/enews.cgi?=3D/survey/
http://www.sophos.co.jp/enews.cgi?=3D/survey/
http://esp.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/survey/

SOPHOS AND QUBUX JOIN FORCES
Qubux, a leading provider of server appliance solutions, has
chosen to use Sophos's anti-virus technology within its
internet filtering solution for the Sun Cobalt range. Sophos's
software will be used as the foundation for its suite of
server appliance cyber-security applications.

http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/press/us/20020619qubux.html

KEEP YOUR INTRANET UPDATED WITH VIRUS AND HOAX INFORMATION
Sophos's virus and hoax info feeds can mean your intranet
or public website is always up-to-the-minute with details
of the latest threats and nuisances.  The feeds are simple
to add and easy to configure to suit your website's or
intranet's look-and-feel.

http://www.sophos.com/enews.cgi?=3D/virusinfo/infofeed/

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=3D
Sophos enews is sent to you as part of our commitment to
raising awareness of the virus threat and helping you to
protect yourself against it.

They seem to issue then daily, if not more offten
I post them to my virusinf-request pages at freelists
as they come in; Mikes VrirusInfo Archive
//www.freelists.org/archives/virusinfo/

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
<mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
<virusinfo-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>

On 05/07/2002 at 10:55 PM Master NetLord wrote:

I'm curious.........anyone out there use Sophos AV software??   It
seems to
be a well rated product.  I checked the site out and it's unusual
in that
they do not publish the cost of the software for home use.  Seems
that it's
primarily a business/commercial software, but can be bought for
home use.

Let me know........

Regards from the
"Keyboard Cowboy",
Master NetLord
,,,,,
=D4=BF=D4=AC
Cincinnati, Ohio
Scottsdale, Arizona
=AB::::=BB=A4=AB::::=BB=A4=A4=AB::::=BB=A4=AB::::=BB
Friday
07/05/2002
10:49:31 PM