-=PCTechTalk=- Re: SP2

  • From: "Tempting2Taanzaa" <tempting2taanzaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:07:09 -0700

I was just wondering about this one paragraph in the article that states:
 Starting on Wednesday, August 25, Microsoft is set to begin pushing the
service pack automatically to users' desktops over the Web.

From: "cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: SP2
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:41:53 -0400

from spyware weekly:

Windows XP SP2 Misconception

I have followed a number of news stories recently about so-called
"incompatibilities" with Microsoft's Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. Because SP2
enables the Windows Firewall by default, it is blocking internet connections by
a number of programs. Unbelievably, people are reporting this as a "glitch" in
the service patch.
These people need to get a clue. These are not bugs, glitches or
incompatibilities. The service patch is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.
It turns on the new Windows firewall, which blocks connections in and out until
you tell it to do differently. That is what a firewall does. This is not unique
to SP2. All software firewalls - ALL OF THEM - do exactly the same thing.
When XP's Service Pack 2 comes out, don't let these foolish news articles about
"incompatibilities" keep you from installing it. There may be real glitches
found later on. The stories that are out right now are full of nonsense, written
by the uninformed. You will be much safer from drive-by malware infection after
you install this service pack.

Hi:
I was just wondering if anyone had any reports on how SP2 is getting along
on their computers?

From: "Tempting2Taanzaa" <tempting2taanzaa@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- What's Next on Microsoft's Security Agenda?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:03:03 -0700