-=PCTechTalk=- Re: SATA Raid - How To?

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 14:51:08 -0700

GMan,

Wow!  Simplify.. sounds great to me....lol!  Actually I am pretty
comfortable with the way it is now.  You will see on my spreadsheet what I
plan to change.

First off, I was wrong..made a typo...I do not have 7 drives ..... I have 8
drives - 5 external firewire drives.
As for the power supply and all these drives, ALL the Firewire drives have
their own power cords.  That is
one reason I have Firewire drives, they have their own power supply.I have a
powered Firewire hub.

All drives are formatted as NTFS

I am NOT married to the idea of raid.  Just a regular ole' Norton Save &
Restore or something else may be just fine.  I just would like to be able to
automate many of the steps.  I am not happy with programs like Ghost that
create their own file type and then you have to have that program installed
to open the dang file.

I had a hard drive go bad and the Drive Image (the image was on another
physical drive would not open/restore the data to a new hard drive.
 I reinstalled Drive Image and that did not help.  (I had done test runs
before.and they worked fine.  It was the important one that did not work!

Then I had a system crash and the Ghost image file got dinged and I could
not
open it without Ghost and Ghost would not reinstall..and I went round and
round with Norton over that.

I actually do not know what the file format Save & Restore uses..so it MAY
be the same thing.  I will check.

OK, I am going to give you the info from my Computer Management/Disk
Management  Screen with additional data.  I started doing this in this
email, but it became too difficult for me to do.
It is hard to do it in an email as the info is hard to read and follow.  The
formatting does not stay the same and the list does not take html mail.

I have finally done a spreadsheet.  Of course, the list does not take
attachments either, so may I send this to you directly...off list?

Some of the drive letters got changed when my computer was moved and
things were plugged back in.  Corrections will be made when the PLAN is all
in place and all the pieces are where they belong.  (My Docs will be M: -
Family Projects will be F: - List of Projects will be L: Graphics Related
will be G:
Supplies - Tools -TV will be Renamed - Tv - Tools - Supplies T:

I have a number of reasons for so many drives.

1.  I am nuts!
2.  I need to make things easy for me to remember..the way MY mind
works..(Thank God most of the rest of the people's minds on earth do NOT
work that way.  (The world would be a dangerous place if they were all like
me...tee hee!)

3.  If I do not plan on working on something, I do not have to turn the
drives on.  All external drives are plugged into those boxes with switches
for each device plugged into the back.  Therefore it is easy to turn things
on or off.  ( I have 3 such power/switch boxes.  Two are Inland - Procomm
3500 and I cannot see the name of the third one. I have switches for each of
my monitors, desk light, printers firewire hub, sound/speakers and my
computer as well as for each drive, (The two backup drives the 400 Gb &
500GB do share one switch on the box.).
There is a master switch on each box which will turn on/off power to the box
itself.  When that switch is off,
none of the items plugged into the back will have power.)

Writing all this out here...sort of makes me feel naked.  Now everyone knows
all my secrets... (the secret is I HAVE NO SECRETS!)  Luckily this is not an
HTML list, so... they are safe from really seeing me naked... haha!

I know this is a list for all ages... and God knows..I would hate to blind a
child..or worse..make them WISH they were blind..haha!

Please get back to me to let me know if it is ok to send you this
spreadsheet off list.  It should make my setup a bit clearer.
By the way, it is a Works spreadsheet and .xlr is the file format.  If you
need something else, let me know what that is and I will try to do that.

Thanks in advance for all your help....
Rose & Jerry both!
Helping me is helping him..ha ha!  That is true even though this is just for
MY computer... tee hee!