-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Power supply testers?

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 02:55:07 -0400

Jo Ann,
    I use a common multimeter to test PS's.  Yes, it does work, as long as
you know what you're looking for.  As a general rule, power supplies put out
3 different voltages (3.3, 5 & 12), but that's not all there is to the story
(of course).  The 12v. may be supplied over more than one set of wires (or
'rails').  The amount of amperage that each rail can or should handle also
comes into play under certain circumstances.  Of course, a failed PS or even
a single filed rail is simple to spot without understanding any of that.

    A more than adequate multimeter can be had cheaply at pretty much any
Radio Shack (or other electronics store) and all of the background info
you'd need to quickly become an expert is just a short search away.
:O)

Peace,
GMan