-=PCTechTalk=- Re: =PCTechTalk=- 64 bit (again...)

  • From: "Lilian" <lilian.oswaldocruz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:50:51 -0300

Glad to read your experienced opinion! I am encouraged to install WinXP Pro
64. I tend to upgrade or build a new computer every 18-24 months.  Not
because I need to, but with 12 grandchildren, I pass the "old" computers on
to them and this way I am able to feed my hobby... build new computers :o))
Since I was building new, why not 64bits?

As to 64 bit OS, as soon as I have time to back up (mostly organise...) I am
going to partition c:/ and dual boot 32bit and 64 bit.  That should get me
going to start with.  I don´t intend to waste my time with Britney, but
there are some Flash items I quite like...<g>

I´ve had computers since 1984 (Apricot, with DOS <bg>) and started with
Windows in the early 90´s.  I have always had AMD Athlon, and have never had
heat problems, at all.
My first Athlon lasted until we left the UK in 2004, I gave it to a friend
and as far as I know its still going strong (and still on Windows 98!).  I
have put an extra fan in this new 64bit setup, mailnly because I have a midi
case as opposed to the full case I always had.  The only problem of heat as
I see it is if I decide to add another HD.  At the moment I have one only
plus an external.  I will probably get a larger external, less bother.  I
have around 400 movies on video cassettes that I taped over 20 years in
England.  Some of them are classics one never sees anymore and I want to
preserve them.  This is going to be a large project and speed (which I will
have) and plenty of storage space will be a must.  And patience, lots of it
<g>

Lil