-=PCTechTalk=- Re: OE and spam

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:13:36 -0500

MailWasher is the most effective I've found and I think that I've tried
most of them.  It took awhile to figure out how to write the filters and
how to set the options, but with both Mailwasher and Calyspo using regular
expressions filtering, I not only don't see spam, it is either never
downloaded or deleted before it hists the mail program automatically.  The
filtering takes thought if you don't want to lose mail or let stuff
through, but with some tweaking I'd have to say it's flawless now.  The
only thing I can't stop (without losing messages) is spam sent *to the
list*.

It wasn't really brilliant (very flattering), I just like to play with all
my options in all my software and tweak the system to do what *I* want as
much as possible.  Hence my disdain of OE and IE and Microsoft in general.
I guess Bill would be crying if he knew how much control I have over his
programs.  <G>  If I had time and was actually a programmer, I'd go even
deeper into it and see what I could really do.

On 8/12/2003 at 1:55 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as Angela
Cooke was rumoured to have uttered....

          |  I think it's brilliant!!
          |  And on the spam note,  I tried McAfee's Spamkiller and it
          |  froze the whole pc up so now I'm trying out Spam Inspector.
          |  After the Spamkiller fiasco I'm dreading it.
          |
          |  Ange x

          |          |
          |          |
          |          | All filters in OE are poor at worst, marginally
          |  effective
          |          | at best. Try
          |          | MailWasher to prescreen the mail *before* you
          |  download
          |          | it into OE. Can be
          |          | set up to delete and bounce messages and can use
          |  *very
          |          | powerful* regular
          |          | expressions filtering. Google will find it. There
are
          |          | also much better
          |          | email programs than OE, so if you're tired of it,
          |  look
          |          | at Calypso, Eudora,
          |          | TheBat, Foxmail and some others.
          |          |
          |          | On 8/11/2003 at 11:02 PM a whisper was heard, and
the
          |          | one known as Angela
          |          | Cooke was rumoured to have uttered....
          |          |
          |          | | Are there any spam filters on OE6? I am sick and
          |          | | tired of receiving porn
          |          | | through email ~ apart from anything else my 5 year
          |          | old son is
          |          | | quite often at
          |          | | my elbow these days. It's all well and good
          |  blocking
          |          | sender
          |          | | when they
          |          | | change their address like I change my undies.
          |          | |
          |          | | Sorry for the rant but there's just too much ~ 4
in
          |          | my last
          |          | | email download!!
          |          | | :-(
          |          | |
          |          | | Ange x
          |          | |
          |          | | To unsub or change your email settings:
          |          | | //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
          |          | |
          |          | | To access our Archives:
          |          | | //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/
          |          | |
          |          | | For more info:
          |          | |
          |          |
          |  //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=pctechtalk
          |          |
          |          |
          |          | ********* And So It Was ***********
          |          |
          |          | To unsub or change your email settings:
          |          | //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
          |          |
          |          | To access our Archives:
          |          | //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/
          |          |
          |          | For more info:
          |          |
          |          |
          |  //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=pctechtalk
          |          |
          |          |
          |          |
          |          |
          |          |
          |          |
          |          |
          |          |
          |          |
          |          |
          |          |
          |          | Stamp powered by www.mailround.com
          |          | To unsub or change your email settings:
          |          | //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
          |          | To access our Archives:
          |          | //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/
          |          | For more info: