-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Norton's AV

  • From: Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ange <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 09:11:19 -0700

I think the post from Rose is spot on.  I hear time and time again how
people "dump" one product or another and 99% of the time the reason
one product is picked has little to do with the products performance
on viruses.  Rarely are the choices made on data and scientific
experimentation.  It has far more to do with:
a) how the interface works or looks
b) what their friends say about the product
c) how much it costs

and probably more often than any other reason....d) how it runs on
their machine.

The latter sounds right on the surface, but often is very, very
flawed.

How the AV runs on a particular computer is a result of many, many
things such as:

a) is the computer clean of viruses to start with?
b) was it installed correctly?
c) has it been updated automatically, religiously?
d) is the computer in good shape - are there registry problems, etc.,
that preexisted the installation of the AV program?
e) is the user running two AV programs at once?
f) is the user running programs that are incompatible with the AV
program?
g) has the user determined the actual cause of the problems.....or
just assumed the problems stem from the installation of a AV program?

I could go on and on.........bottom line is that after years or
playing around with computers and help lists, 95% of all program
problems (when using the major AV programs) are caused by the
user.....NOT the AV program.  There are a few exceptions....and I had
one myself a couple of years ago, but they are rare, and in my
experience, are fixable with proper support from the company that made
the AV program.

Here's what *I* do......may or may not work for others.  I use
Norton's Systemworks (including of course, Norton's AV).  I
automatically check for and install virus definition updates every
four hours (computer runs 24/7 unless I'm out of town).  Every year, I
DO NOT update the virus subscription, I but a new, complete copy, of
the Systemworks.  While the updates do make changes to the program as
well as the virus definitions, I "think" that they make major changes
each year the ARE NOT reflected in the automatic updates.  While I
can't point to evidence directly, I've read quite a bit over the years
that's led me to that conclusion.  I run only ONE AV program.  I keep
one hell of a clean computer.  This philosophy has managed to keep my
computer virus free and a joy to use........it works for me!

   Regards from

 Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy",
           ,,,,,,,,
          Ô¿Ô¬
    Cincinnati, Ohio
 Scottsdale, Arizona
 Sunday  7/3/2005  8:54:53 AM

 Live your life so that when you die, the minister will not have to
tell lies at your funeral.

 --  Unknown Author