-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Netgear Switch issue

  • From: EddieB <fasteddieb216@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 12:04:20 -0400

Larry,

I found a manual at:
http://safemanuals.com/annexe_Product%20Brochure_NETGEAR_GS108-_E.htm

That is just a Switch.  A Router also uses DHCP to assign IP's and uses NAT
to share the internet connection from your modem.  Without a router you
could assign Static IP's to everything on your network (giving you a fully
functional local intranet), but that wouldn't let everything have internet
access because you need the NAT from a router to share the one IP of your
modem.

To put it another way, a Switch does not replace a router, it only allows
you to hook up more computers than the 4 or whatever your router has.  Often
the Switches are used by businesses to hook all their PC's up, but they
either use a high end Router or have a DHCP server (and probably a DNS
server) on their network.

Ed