-=PCTechTalk=- Re: More external drive questions

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 22:16:39 -0400

In theory then, if the drive is set to NOT cache, it could be removed after
the activity light quits blinking?

You used the term "hard drive".  Was that meant to be generic and include
internal and external hard drives and thumb drives, memory cards and other
external "mass storage" devices?

A hard drive has a Level 1 cache and a Level 2 cache.  What's up with that?

Those caches are built into the drive.  Where is the cache (s) for non-hard
drive external mass storage devices?

In the absence of a reboot, shutdown or make safe process will a cache
eventually write all that meta data to the drive?

This stuff is getting really interesting.
  :-))

My next round of questions will cover removing software and partitions on
thumbdrives that were put there by the manufacturer.  Also formatting and
choosing a file system for them.

Don