-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Modem probs

  • From: Jim <n1jmm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 22:19:14 -0500

This sounds like a phone network problem.

What some ISP's do, is buy lines from a local phone company office and
have them forwarded to one of their other offices where they actually
have modem capabilities. This was know as POP (Points Of Presence) so
that you could dial a 'local' number, but it would actually be answered
at another location outside your local calling area. Kind of like using
call forwarding. ISP's used to have several lines coming from various
towns to a more central location where a modem device would actually
answer them. If your getting a busy signal right away, then either all
the lines are in use or they aren't being routed correctly.

Definitely try calling the same number using a conventional telephone
from the same line as the modem and also from another line, you might
also try calling it from your cell phone. I suspect it will work from
the cell phone but be busy from the wire-lines.

-Jim-