-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Laptop Recommendations - - 32 bit or 64 bit?

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:35:13 -0400

Good approach to these question, DJ!

I would imagine the printer will function, but with limited capability.
Still, it would be a simple matter of using a USB stick to move them over to
the desktop and print them from there.  You'd probably want to keep a copy
with the rest of your desktop collection anyway.

For your use, 64-bit has indeed arrived and it should speed up nearly
everything you do.  Since more memory can be addressed by individual
processes (compared to 32-bit), it only makes sense that it will require
more memory to really take advantage of that.  A laptop with a max capacity
of 3 or 4GB of RAM won't hurt you, but I would have to assume that it could
become an annoyance within a couple of years as technology marches forward.
Of course, that all depends on how your needs change.

My suggestion here, then, is to look for a laptop that not only serves your
present needs (support for 64-bit, good graphics, etc), but also allows more
room for future growth.  I'd be looking for a discrete (add-on) graphics
card, maybe an 8GB RAM capacity (depends on anticipated future needs), as
always, decent reviews.

Finally, here's a web page that compares different discrete mobile graphics
cards and firmly plants each one into one of 5 categories, depending on
their abilities.  It will definitely come in handy when trying to figure out
what you're getting with any of the laptops you choose to investigate.

http://tinyurl.com/fqcgq

Peace,
Gman