-=PCTechTalk=- Re: I've lost my sound

  • From: HandsomeBlck@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 22:52:03 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/2007 2:39:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> HB,
>   Sorry for the delay, but I've been away for a bit (in more ways than one
> lol)
>
>   Yes, we've been trying to isolate the problem with our questions, but
> the lack of headphones is a sticking point.  If you know of anyone with a
> computer, ask them to let you borrow their headphones for Mike's two tests
> (use a music CD as a source).  The results will tell us volumes about where
> the problem may lie.  Simply put, if you can get sound from the drive, but
> not from the output in the back of the PC, the problem is inside your
> computer case (a wire has come loose) or the sound driver has become
> corrupted.  If you get sound from both, it lies somewhere in the speaker
> setup (or the speakers themselves).  If you get it from neither source, the
> optical drive may be the culprit.
>
>   Did your system previously emit sounds for various system functions such
> as emptying the Recycle Bin or shutting down the computer?  If it did (and
> now it doesn't), that means this is beyond just the CD drive.
>
>   Oh, and how do you like your new carpet?    :O)
>
> Peace,
> GMan

GMan,
     No problem for the delay. I been real busy myself, unpacking boxes,
putting up shelves, fixing circuit breaker tripping range hood, and backing up
kitchen drain, etc.
     Here's the latest; while shifting computer from card table to office
desk (post carpet install), I found various assortment of cat chewings on one
of
the speaker cords. I suspect the cord will have to be cut and sliced. It's
disconnected now, but I don't have any idea if this could have caused a problem
(ground?) I tested again, while playing a WAV file on my HD, and swapping the
remaining jack to each plug in the rear of the computer. No success.
    Can a set of Walkman type of headsets work? Either way, I'll go get
headsets tomorrow and run the tests you and Mike recommend.
     The carpet is great. I think it's couristan (sp?) She's very happy with
it, so I'm overjoyed.

Thanks,

HB

 See what's free at