-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IDE Controller Card

  • From: "GuitarMan" <PCTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 20:35:06 -0400

Andy,
    My Maxtor 7,200 RPM drive came with an ATA/100 Controller Card, which is
what you're asking about here.  When I went to install the Win2000 part of
my dual boot system (Win98SE/Win2K), I had to have the drivers for the
Controller Card handy.  Without them, WinXP (like Win2K) won't be able to
set itself up to boot from the drive properly.  And YES, you'll have to make
sure that the card you buy is WinXP compatible (or at least that the
manufacturer has since released drivers that are WinXP ready).  Even if the
card is made for WinXP, check the manufacturer's web site to see if they
offer newer drivers than the ones originally included with the unit.  If
they do, use those instead since they've probably worked out some bugs and
possibly will allow the card to run faster than the original driver set.

    You'll also need to go into the BIOS and let it know that the hard
drives are no longer on the regular IDE busses.  If it's available, use the
Auto-Detect Drives option and the BIOS will do the work for you.

    Other than that, I had no problems at all with the install or the
running of the OS since then.  Note that I don't have anything at all
attached to the mainboard's IDE busses.  The Maxtor and another hard drive
is on the first IDE bus and my single CD-R/RW drive is on the other.

Peace,
GMan

PCTechTalk Owner