-=PCTechTalk=- Re: How do you find "properties" in XP?

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 23:29:31 -0400

Sandy,
    You're thinking about the ol' "Resource Meter" applet, which
unfortunately is not present in any of the NT based operating systems (NT,
2000, XP or Vista).  It was removed because so many tech sites were
misinforming the public on its true use.  The good news is that NT-based
operating systems are MUCH better at managing their system resources, so the
frequency of 'reboot time' should be greatly reduced.

    The old Meter took many different items into consideration when
determining the overall system state (free RAM, swapfile use, frames, paging
files, etc.), but there is nothing included with newer NT based systems that
really compares to that, at least from a regular user's standpoint.
Instead, MS designed the NT pagefile to be dynamic in that it can be
automatically increased in size by the OS as needed to compensate for
increased loads.  The downside is that the use of a pagefile is slower than
using actual RAM, so the system will still become more sluggish.  Therefore,
if you feel your system slowing down (taking more time than usual to load or
process different things), it's most likely time for a reboot.

We got one very heavy downpour that lasted for about half a day.  Once that
ended, the skys opened up and it got quite chilly.  The next day, the city
was back up in the high 80's, but without all that humidity.

Peace,
Gman