-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Home Networking Newbie

  • From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:16:16 -0700

Hi, no they could not both be on dial up at the same time, they had to wait.
But this caused too much chaos, LOL. Since I had a second phone line, I spit
the line so that the 2 computers downstairs could each use the
connection...but again only one at a time could connect. That took care of
one of the youngsters and me. The teenager uses the "house phone" to
connect.

The computer upstairs already has an Ethernet card, it was a gov computer
with no OS any more. So I guess it was networked? This was a truly bare
bones machine, I put in more memory and a dial up modem, also a sound card
after installing W98 on it.

I do have another Ethernet card identical to this one. I thought I could put
it in the eMachine that is downstairs. Never having done anything with the
eMachine I am only hoping I can put one in it.

That would leave me needing one for my computer. Right?

What is the difference between a router, a hub and a gateway? No matter
which is which I would still need an Ethernet card for each machine? Right?
Do I have to have a cross-over cable(s) like I have been reading about?

I tried looking up ICS (which I now know means Internet Connection Sharing,
thanks to you) but there was nothing that I could find in Windows Help. But
I did Google for home networking W98, and found several reference pages. I
am reading them and trying to make sense of them.

TIA,

Sammi

From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
. So for the time being they are connected through the