-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Fw: Re: Moving your My Documents folder P.S.

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 23:26:14 -0500

Sandi,
    Most likely, your system had been running for a while before that
problem began.  Even under WinXP, long term use without a reboot can allow
things like memory leaks (when closed processes neglect to release the
memory they were using or when apps continually request more memory space,
paging areas, threads, etc. instead of recycling the amount they already
own) to bring a system to its virtual knees.  There's also the chance that
something had crashed earlier in that session and you didn't reboot to get
rid of any floaters (my own choice of word to describe broken support files
still loaded into memory after an app crashes).

    In fact, there's are many more reasons that seem to cause Windows to act
in odd and difficult to duplicate ways.  I know that doesn't tell you much,
but it may be enough to at least let you know how to solve many of them.
Reboot and see if the problem is still present.  If not, it was most likely
a 'tired' session.      :O)

Peace,
GMan

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"