-=PCTechTalk=- Re: For the network gurus

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 23:28:25 -0400

I will dump the software.  When I do, will that necessitate re-establishing
connections or other configuration changes?

You correctly assumed the drivers were all PC related and the system is XP
Pro.  The router is v8 and I didn't even think of looking for new firmware
for it.  I'll go look at it and compare dates to see if it is needed.

Problems are:

On one laptop the connection is very erratic.  It connects for a little bit
then drops for a little bit.  Then repeats the process over and over.
(Rainbow only, no problem Williams or ethenet cable)

Dell is currently connected and running well on Rainbow.  Has been since
this morning (thursday).  Before that it was not even recognizing the
router.  See question below.

I just went over to the second laptop and it appears to be working ok.  So
does the first one.  ArggHh!!!!

Looks like posting a question is the best way to fix a problem.  So lets try
another one:

Will plugging in an ethernet cable to a wireless enabled computer disable
the wireless until the cable is removed?  If not, my desktop is doing
strange things?  Note:  wired adapter and wireless adapter are two totally
different devices.  First one is an Intel PRO/100 and the second is the
Linksys adapter mentioned earlier.

I'll go read about the issues with EasyLink and will also check out the
DD-WRT flash.  I still have the older router so I have a platform to play on
if I want to.  Thanks for the links.

Don