-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firewall question

  • From: Misty Corton <carecentre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 19:04:26 +0200

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 08:03:54 -0700.
"Sylvia" <sylviam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I poo-pooed the idea, thinking I would never really need one. But since the
> upgrade included one, I enabled it. Now I get several alerts when I am
> online, they usually give information like so:
>
> Time of last attack: 7:39 AM, Nov 07, 2002
> Source of last attack: 213.97.43.148
> Last attack type: NetBIOS Browsing
> Bytes sent:3,438,720
> Bytes received:48,028,314
>
> My question is: are these REALLY "attacks"? or a false report that makes it
> look like the program is actually protecting my computer?

Some can be innocent, some not!

>The log shows
> cloaking events (to hide the entry points), and Firewall, (examines and
> filters network traffic, etc.)
> I have trouble believing any one would want in my puter. BUT, maybe there is
> more on it that would be of interest, credit card numbers and so forth.
> Steal files, make mischief. Dunno.
>
> And also, how do I find out who these "sources" are? How do I use the
> numbers to identify them?

Got to any of these and type in the IP number the firewall gives you and
it will trace the culprit. though they can hide themselves well!
http://www.whois.twnic.net.

http://www.arin.net/whois/

http://www.amnesi.com/hostinfo/ipinfo.jhtml

http://www.ripe.net/perl/whois

The U.S. Postal Inspection Service takes fraud reports at fraud@xxxxxxxxxx

Regards,
Misty
If you ever thought you were too small to make a difference,
you have never shared a bed with a mosquito.
http://www.carecentre.org.za