-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firefox question/flash/gman

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 00:24:08 -0400

Cristy,
    Most of the tweaks we occasionally discuss are geared towards getting
rid of these things and speeding up the computer.  From what you're saying
here, I have a feeling you're going to be paying more attention in the
future.      ;O)

    Ok, one thing at a time.

OE icon to QuickLaunch bar:
Go to Start > All Programs and look for the Outlook Express icon.  When you
find it, use your right mouse button to drag it to your QuickLaunch bar.  If
you drag it across the space between two already existing icons, you'll see
the cursor change into an "I" shape.  If you let go of the mouse button
while it is in that shape, it will be set to place the new icon in between
those two others.  You'll first need to click "Copy" on the menu before
you'll see it appear there, though.  As I said before, there is a way to
move things around so that the QuickLaunch bar is on its own level, still
attached to, but separate from the regular taskbar (where open window
buttons show up).  I'll leave that discussion for whenever you're ready for
it.

Remember:  Copy an original shortcut to create another shortcut (from Start
menu to QuickLaunch bar), Move a shortcut if you no longer want the original
to remain in its original position (from Desktop to QuickLaunch bar) and
choose Create A Shortcut Here for anything that's not already a shortcut (a
file in MyDocs to the QuickLaunch bar).

Remove extra background processes:
To remove the MusicMatch and other icons from the Notification Area (the
small boxed in area that also contains your clock), you only have to stop
them from running in the background.  In most cases, they are put there
every time you fire up the computer.  In other cases, they appear there when
you run a certain program, but they don't go away after you close that
program.  In ALL cases, this is how to handle them.

The first thing to try is to right click or (regular left) click on an icon
you no longer want to load.  Hopefully, one of those two actions will cause
a context menu to appear.  If it does, look for a listing that says
something similar to "Run on startup", "Start with Windows", "Run on boot",
etc..  If that's not there, look for a line called Options, Settings or
Preferences and click that.  Hopefully, you'll find a control like the ones
above somewhere among the options area that opens.  If that's not there,
either, look for one that says "Open 'xxxx'" or "Restore the 'xxxx' Console"
(where 'xxxx' is the name of the program or process associated with the
Notification Area icon you're trying to remove).  If that's there, the
settings may be found in the main program interface.  In other words, every
program you find in there will be different and you need to learn how to
look through everything you can access to see if it can be turned off easily
(easily???      lol).

If you get absolutely no joy turning it off using the above method, we'll
have to pull out the heavy hardware and invoke the power of MSCONFIG!
MSConfig is a utility that comes with Windows that lets you see and control
a number of startup & system options.  We're only concerned with one of its
several tabs, so this is not as big a deal as it may seem at first.

To start MSConfig, go to Start > Run, type in 'msconfig' without the quotes
and then press ENTER.  When the utility opens, click on the Startup tab and
you'll be presented with a list of stuff that starts up with your computer.
This is not a complete list, but it should include everything not belonging
to Windows itself that you're trying to prevent.  The first column gives the
internal name of the running program/process.  The second column provides
the command that runs it or a path to the file that's running and the third
column shows the registry entry that controls the whole thing.  If it's not
controlled by the registry, it will instead show the location of the process
that is launching it (such as the Startup folder in your Start menu).

Some of the entries will have rather strange names like "KHALMNPR" or
"jusched" which won't make much sense at first.  Don't let that throw you.
Instead, look at the path next to it to see which program it belongs to.  In
most cases, you'll see very quickly if it's one you're trying to stop.  Some
of these lines are for process that you definitely don't want stopped such
as security software, certain Windows functions that you rely on or updating
apps that keep your system running smoothly.  therefore, the rule in here
has to be, "If you don't know what it does, ASK before giving it the boot".

I'll stop here to give you some time to experiment and get used to these
ideas.  Let me know when you're ready for more.        :O)

http://www.naturalnews.com/023033.html

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"