-=PCTechTalk=- Re: External drive question

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 12:39:14 -0400

Don,
    You've successfully taken this line of questioning into an area where my
only answer can be "Well, I'm not sure".  Any answers I try to provide would
be pure speculation.       lol

    My 'guess' is that Q1 may have something to do with the Recycle Bin.  Q2
& 3 can best be answered by saying that I once scrambled some files on a USB
key by removing it without first unmounting it.  I thought it was set for
quick removal, but that was not the case.  My advice is to never assume
either setting is the default and unmount before you remove anything, even
if it's supposedly set for quick removal.  The files were only copies, so my
loss was insignificant.  However, I'll say that the lesson was an important
one I will not soon forget.