-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Dual boot really triple boot.

  • From: Don <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:45:56 -0700

 Ha Ha Ha.  Whatever gave you the idea that something as simple as copying a
file over to the drive would fix this problem?  :-D
But I tried it anyway.  Didn't work.

Going after EasyBCD now.

I was toodling around EasyBCD, renamed the three boots so I would know what
Iwas selecting and VOILA, everything works as advertised.  I think I'll set
XP to be the default.

Don

Gman wrote: See below. Peace, Gman http://www.bornagainamerican.org[1] "The
only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask" ----- Original Message
-----From: "dsw32952" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>[2] To:
<pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[3]Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:00 PM
Subject:-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Dual boot really triple boot. All installations
complete. On first reboot, booted to XP OK. On second reboot booted to
HP-Vista OK. On third reboot booted to MS-Vista OK, completed some
installation work, including drivers that it did not recognizebut I OKed. On
next reboot XP would not boot. Missing "ntldr". System still boots OK when I
select either Vista installation. NTLDR does exist in the root of the
HP-Vista drive. It does not exist anywhere else. Should it? It should only
exist where XP expects it to be. That would be the Active Primary boot
volumewhich should be the same thing as where you're seeing it. However, the
differences between boot loaders may be having an odd effect on that
expectation. If XP has been onstalled to a separate physical hard drive, try
Copying the NTLDR file to the root of that drive as well. It'll then be in
both places. If it than allows XP to boot proper, you'll know that XP now
expects it to be on its OWN physical drive's Active Primary volume. When the
error first appeared it said to insert the installation disk, chooselanguage
and then select repair. I inserted my original XP install disk (XP SP1 full
version) but never got option to select language or repair. Inserted
MS-Vistainstall disk and didn't get options either.... both went immediately
to copying files and installing. Did not try my nLite or vLite builds of the
installation disks. 1. How do I invoke the repair option? XP wants to invoke
it's Repair option on its own install disk, but that repair function has no
clue about the existence of Vista. If you were to find and use it, it would
likely break ALL of your working OS's in the sense that you would not be
ableto boot into them. 2. How do I get NTLDR to be where it is supposed to
be? It already IS where it's supposed to be, but XP may now be confused as
tothe proper location. As mentioned above, Copy it to the root of the second
ohysical drive and see if that works. 3. Is it safe to assume that something
does not like the NTLDR deposited during install of MS-Vista? Should it
matter where/when the NTLDR came from? As far as I know (and I could be very
wrong on this), Vista does not use the NTLDR file. It may not have liked its
presence during your second Vista install (the only Vista install with a
chance of seeing that file). Still, if the file is still there, it appears
that the Vista install probably didn't touch it. 4. Will EasyBCD or other
utility repair this problem? I would think that issues like this are the
reason why EasyBCD exists. It will allow you to edit the Vista boot loader,
which is what should be controlling ALL of your present installations. 5. I
originally tried having both drives installed (refer to quoted message
below)and then booted to recovery disk to recover HP-Vista to the 160GB
drive. It went through the process but did not recover the OS to either
drive. I removed the one drive and then recovered with no problem. Second
drive was replaced and XP then MS-Vista were installed with no problems.
Thanks for keeping (and correcting) your notes so well organized and
updated.These parts really do help the rest of us follow along with your
exploits. :) Don Don wrote: HP-Vista refers to the OS recovered using the
Recovery DVD disk set providedby HP (keyword RECOVERED not installed).
MS-Vista refers to the OS installed by using a "normal" Vista installation
disk (keyword INSTALLED not recovered). I installed an old SATA 160GB hard
drive from Dell into the HP as Disk 0 with nothing else installed. I
recovered HP-Vista to that drive and then adjusted partitions to an
acceptable configuration. I re-installed the 500GB SATA as Disk 1, leaving
the 160GB installed. I rebooted to my XP Pro install disk and partitioned to
a near acceptable configuration and am now installing XP. I expect XP to
mangle the MBR on Disk 0 (where HP-Vista isinstalled). Once XP is installed
Iwill boot to the MS-Vista CD and installit on anotherpartition on Disk 1. I
expect it to un-mangle the MBR mangled by XP back into a useable MBR with
aboot menu showing MS-Vista, XP Pro and HP_Vista. I will then edit the boot
to default to XP. Am I the only one that thinks this will work? If it does,
it will keep HP-Vista installed for warranty purposes plus give me boot
capability to XP. I'll post an updatewhen the installation process is
completed. Don
PCTableTalk off-topic group, send a blank email to:
pctabletalk+subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[8]