-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Caveat Emptor!

  • From: larrysoutherland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:33:30 +0000

 DO NOT PURCHASE WD EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES!  I have had 5 of them fail just over
the past year due to overheating.  Four of them were 1 Terabyte drives and,
although they were replaced with reburbished drives under warranty, I lost all
of the data which was on them.  The fifth one was a 160 GB hard drive that was
1.5 months out of warranty -- the electronics "fried."  I keep my office at a
very low temperature to protect my equipment.  The only way that the four 1
Terabyte replacement drives continue to work is that I placed Antec Notebook
cooling fans under them (two drives per Antec fan).  I would strongly
discourage anyone from purchasing WD external drives -- at least those which
have fans in them.  (One might say that I'm no longer a "fan" of WD. ;-) )