-=PCTechTalk=- Re: CD-R's

  • From: "Grant Karpik" <gkarpik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:38:24 -0800

Now that Kodak has stopped making blanks look for Fuji spindles as
they're made by Taiyo Yuden (sp?) in Japan (or, if you can find them,
those under the Taiyo Yuden name itself). Rated by 'those in the know'
as one of the best cd manufacturers around. CD quality *does* vary from
manufacturer to manufacturer and it does make a difference as to both
the longevity of a burnt cd and to the chances of making a 'coaster'.

On 23 Jan 2003 at 16:57, Cajun wrote:

> Is there a major difference between CD-R brands, and what is the
> difference between CD-R's within a single brand?  For instance:  what is
> the difference between Memorex's regular CD-R's and the ones they
> specifically label "Music?"  Since they advertise the exact same MB's,
> minutes and speed, is one truly better for just music than the other?
> Does it have a special coating that causes less skipping since vendors
> know that consumers won't be playing data CD's in their cars and boats?
>
> I have a 4-disk CD changer in my car.  It does skip if I hit a bump just
> right.  I recorded some music on an off-brand CD once and it skipped
> more in my car than Memorex.  TDK doesn't skip much either.  I've never
> used Maxell's, but would like to try them as I used to always use their
> Gold series tapes and they were excellent quality.
>
> Cajun

...a cat is a diagram and a pattern of subtle air...

Grant Karpik
gkarpik@xxxxxxxxx