-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Booting from CD-Rom

  • From: "andy" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:04:34 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Trevnal" <trev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 7:59 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Booting from CD-Rom

> Have you checked out what the beep means off the motherboards Manufactures
> website?
Yes.. nothing specifically about 'beeps' but ..read on..

> First I would check for any jumpers on the motherboard, especially for the
> C-MOS.  If they are any check they are in the right places.  If you can
> clear the C-MOS, then do what ever it tells you to do to do that.
>
> Then restart the PC and se what happens.

Tried that..a couple of times..it involes unplugging from the mains,
removing the battery, change the CMOS jumper for three seconds, move the
jumper back and putting the battery back in...good practise, but makes no
difference!!

> If it is still beeping in the same way. Turn off and remove the memory and
> test the machine again.  Does it beep in the same way?  if it does I would
> suspect there is either a problem with the memory or with the motherboard.
> When the memory is taken out the computer will beep at you for sure.

Right, I took the stick out and the same beep was there-I've tried it in all
three slots too..so that is a pretty sure fire way of telling me it's a
memory problem...

NOW..see if you follow the logic here..

The memory is of the DDR400 type..I asked the vendor if the board supports
it and he said yes, and indeed the board DOES support it..but, in the manual
it has a table that shows an  FSB/DDR support table, and the DDR 400 memory
is only shown as supported if running an FSB at 200 or 266MHz, but the
processor is the Athlon XP2600  running at 333MHz, and the table shows only
DDR333 memory is supported

In other words, I don't think the so called 'better' memory supports the
faster procrssor in this board..which seems rather odd..