-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Blaster-virus.

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:36:08 -0400

Ok... if you notice in my post, I didn't say if the DLLHOST.EXE file existed on
your computer that you're infected. What I said was another variation would
have the DLLHOST.EXE running as a process. DLLHOST.EXE is a legitimate file.
That in itself is NOT a virus. However, if you see it running as a process,
that's just something that you want to investigate to make sure its a
legitimate process.
The worm that would cause this is called w32.Welchia.worm. That's one name.
Other names exist for this. Go here for details on how to remove it.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.welchia.worm.html

As a note... many viruses will use existing and legitimate apps that are on
your system, sometimes even apps that must run.

---Troth