-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Backing up from OE

  • From: "Jo Ann Weaver" <hillfarm3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 23:29:08 -0400

Thanks Rose,
Will keep your instuctions for further need, and download the program Judith
suggested.
Jo Ann

Mail in Outlook Express . (OE).. when saved... in OE...have a .eml
extension.
When you double click on them..it opens them as an email.

You could highlight the emails individually and save them as .eml files on
your hard drive.
Create a folder..maybe for each subject (OE File Folder name?) and save them
in those kind of folders.

You could an email and then 'drag &drop' other emails into it..and save it
that way.  But remember..those are going to be pretty big files if you save
a lot of emails in one email.

If you have 10 short emails from granny, you could do that.... or.. you
could open a Word (or any word processing program..even note pad) and copy
and paste the precious words of granny into one email.

Or.. you could buy a program that backups up OE mail.  I have such a program
that costs about $35.  It can be checked out at  http://www.ajsystems.com/
It seems they just came out with a new version.  I have version 6 and now
they have version 7.  In reviewing the features it seems like this is
something I will upgrade to.  One of the main reasons is you can view an
email without having to restore everything.  I like that feature.

What I have done in the past...since I am on a number of graphics groups..is
have my message rules put mail from a group in a folder.  Then I file what I
can... and dump what I can..and when there is too much to file..and I have
dumped what I don't want..I backup the folder.  Then I delete the folder in
OE.  I create a new folder with the same name and a new date...(in the
title).  Then I have the graphics backed up and I can restore then when I
want to..and file them away...but there is no rush..(except my own priority)
and I know they are safe.  I could do this with the new software..but it
appears I may be able to do more and just open the ones I really want at the
moment and then I could save the graphics out of them...cool!

There may be some good free programs around.  Folks on this list are great
about knowing about that.  I just have been using the Express Assistant
program for a long time...(probably 1 1/2 to 2 yrs..and I am happy with it)

These are just my opinions... I am sure there are other and smarter folks
here that may advise you otherwise.

No matter what..you have to make the decision of what is best for you... So
look at a few options...

Hugs,
Rose
Las Vegas