-=PCTechTalk=- Re: A plea for help for my Father-in-Law

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 00:54:41 -0400

First thing to try is to clear out all caches.  This mean the User & System
Temp folders as well as the Temporary Internet File folder in order to clear
out the browser's own cache.  So, the two pronged approach here is to clean
up both the system & the browser.

Personally, I don't trust the automated tools that MS includes, so I do some
of these things manually.  Always start a cleanup like what below
immediately AFTER a reboot.  do not open any additional programs before
starting.

From within Control Panel, go to Internet Options and use the Delete button
on the General tab.  In the next window, select only the top item -
Temporary Files (or similar).  That will clear out the IE cache.  If using
Firefox, open the browser and go to Tools > Options > Privacy tab.  Click on
the Settings buton and delelect everything except for the Cache item.  Click
OK once and then click Clear Now to wipe out all of the junk.

Open up Windows Explorer (Windows key+E).  Go to C:\Windows\Temp and clear
out everything it will allow you to delete.  If you're running Vista or
higher, it will give you the option of skipping any files that are currently
in use.  Accept that offer for ALL file like that.  In XP and lower, you'll
have to manually work around those types of files.  Once finished, head to
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp and do the same
thing.  I'm not positive where this second one is within Vista or Win7, but
look within the C:\Users\username\AppData area.  There are three folders in
there and the 'User' Temp folder will likely be in one of them.

Once all of these locations are cleaned of their old garbage, reboot and try
out the apps that are causing trouble.  Let me know if any persist beyond
the cleaning.

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php

"The entire future of humankind is yet to be written"