-=PCTechTalk=- Ramblings of a reckless maverick

  • From: "Don" <don@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 20:25:25 -0500

I have my new laptop and have been using it exclusively for a few weeks.  I
have it hooked up to my 23" HDTV (using an HDMI cable), a full size MS
Comfort Curve wireless keyboard and five-button wireless laser mouse.   Is
it possible to turn the laptop display off and on, as needed, without
impacting the HDTV display?

I really like Windows 7.  So far my only two gripes are with Windows
Explorer . . . . . . .

1.        I frequently sort folders on one field, select some files and then
change to a different sort field to see the impact from a different
perspective (such as seeing how a list of files of a specific SIZE fit into
the list of NAMES).  That worked fine in Vista and earlier but in 7 when I
make the sort field change I lose my selections.

2.        When working with a folder that has lots of files (in the
thousands) it usually takes forever to complete the sort.  Also, again
usually, when I select a few files scattered through the folder and then
delete or rename or move them it takes forever to complete the refresh of
the file list.  (This is with a 64-bit OS, 6GB RAM and a 64-bit 2.2GHz Core
2 dual core processor).

Things I really like:

1.       The new taskbar.  I just wish the in-use icons were grouped
together instead of remaining in order left to right and mixed up with some
not currently in use.  The small preview when you hover over an open items
icon is great and even better is the full screen preview you get when you
hover over the small preview.

2.       The new notification area.  I just wish you could assign parking
places for the various icons so you could group most used or separate
similar looking icons.  This would be most useful in the picklist of hidden
icons.

3.       No more sidebar!  Some of the widgets would be useful but I don't
want to ugly up my desktop.

4.       The new desktop wallpaper changer.  Fantastic!  I love it.

Now if I could just change the default option from "close all tabs" to
"close current tab" in IE8  . . . . . . .

I feel very comfortable encouraging everyone with at least 2GB of RAM to
upgrade to 7.  3 or 4 GB of RAM is better of course.

Don

in the Subject.