-=PCTechTalk=- Product Key

  • From: "Cajun" <cajun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTechTalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:20:49 -0600

I have four copies of Windows 95.  One came on my first computer (Win 95 1st
Edition), one came on my old laptop that bit the dust a while back (Win 95
SE), and two came with old computers that were given to me that I stripped
for parts.  Three copies are on CD (one is Win 95 1st Edition, and the other
two, I believe, are Win 95 SE) and one copy is on floppy (Win 95 1st
Edition, I believe).

Is there a sure way to know which version each one is?  The files on the CD
that came with my first computer (that I KNOW is 1st edition) are dated
1995, and the ReadMe file is dated August 1995, and so are the files and
ReadMe on the floppy set that came on an old computer given to me.  The
files on the CD that came with my old laptop are dated 1996, the other that
came on another old computer that was given to me has files dated 1997, and
both have ReadMe files dated August 1996.  Would these both be Win 95 SE?

Also, I have the Windows 95 books with Certificates of Authenticity on front
that came with my first computer and the dead laptop, so I know what the
Product Keys are for those two CD's.  But I don't know what the Product Key
is for the other CD and the floppy set that came from old computers that
have been disassembled.  Would I have to know those numbers before
installing those CD's on another computer?  Is there a way to extract it
from the CD?  Is it in one of the CAB files?  If so, which one?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to give one of the copies to someone
who has an old computer given to her with Windows 95 on it.  She was not
given the disk.  She's having problems and when she tries to fix them, or
even create a Start-Up disk (whish she also was not given), she is asked for
the CD.  I don't want to give her the one that came with my first computer
because it's registered to me and I've given that computer to my stepson.
It's at his mother's where he lives and I'm still maintaining it personally.
Also, I KNOW that the version that came on my old laptop is the 2nd edition
and I want to hold onto that as it is also registered to me.

Thanks!

Cajun