-=PCTechTalk=- Problem solved

  • From: Robert Carneal <carnealr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 09:05:08 -0500

<Copy>
[From Jim]
I assume you mean you can't copy any files from the hard drive to any
removeable media even using windows explorer or my computer, that no matter
how you try to 'write' a file it reports disk full....

wonder what happens when you boot in safe mode, can you then copy/move
files to removeable media using explorer or one of the command line copy
commands such as xcopy or xcopy32
<End>
<Copy>
[From Troth]
I would recommend trying to back up the data first. I know you said you
can't write to any drive cause of the DISK FULL error. BUT... didn't you
say you're networking to another computer? You may be able to send the
backup over the network to the other system (assuming it doesn't show that
as full as well).
<End>

Well, first let me comment on Jim please. You assumed correctly, not only
any removable media, but also the fixed media. Either in Explorer, Windows,
or My Computer.
I booted in Safe Mode, and tried to copy a file to the computer to change
color, it was two lines long, about 28 characters total; very small file. I
wanted to see if copying would work. It did not.Truth be told, at this
point I was very surprised. Usually in Safe Mode you can do this.

Comment to Troth. I went to another computer, and tried to copy the "Full"
computer over to that computer. It would not copy. Same error. However, on
the other machine itself, copy and save was still possible; just not
possible to copy from the so-called "full" computer.

Okayyyyyyy (For those of you who do not know, I maintain a Computer Use
Log, where I write down how much time I spend on this project, or that
project, or I download this file from this source, etc.), I started reading
my Computer Log for clues. I downloaded and installed Windows updates, not
my first suspect. Installed software for a Brother printer, but it called
for an OFFICE cd, not Windows CD. I put in my Office 2000 CD. It then asked
me for the Office 97 CD, which I have, and I complied. It was odd it did
that, I thought.

It was a waste of paper, but I did a DIR > LPT1, and got a file listing for
the entire hard drive. I started scratching off files that had no
duplicates. Hours later, I found some duplicates. The machine had three
copies of Word 97. I did not deliberately install that, why should I? I am
using Office 2000.

So I went to Add/Remove and removed all the Word 97s. Then I reinstalled
Office 2000 simply on top of the existing Office 2000 and rebooted. I am
theorizing that the Word 97s conflicted with each other due to shared
files. Does that make sense?

So far, the error has not shown itself. Yes, I could blame Brother. I could
blame Microsoft for allowing a backwards Office to be installed on the same
machine as a new Office. Or I could blame me for deciding to hook up the
Brother printer. Or I could be happy it was fixed. I really expected a
hardware error and I think the technician did, too.

Thank you everyone.

Robert