-=PCTechTalk=- Printer and ink problems

  • From: "SandiBeach" <SandiBeach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pctechtalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:04:48 -0500

I have a fairly new Epson Stylus Photo 825 printer.  It devours ink but I
have stuck to the genuine Epson cartridges until a few days ago. I ordered
and installed a compatible ink cartridge from Max Patch.  I have never used
Max Patch before but they had a very good promotional deal going on.  I have
used compatible inks from the Ink Farm and from Carrot Ink and had no
problems at all with my Epson 640.
This time I thought I had made a major blunder as I had been printing photos
and with the new ink cartridge they did not do well at all.  I ran the
nozzle check and then the cleaner and did that 4 or 5 times.  Let it set
overnight and next morning the nozzle check came out good and I have been
able to print pictures again with good results.  One came out a bit off but
running the cleaner again made it o.k.  The cleanings do use a lot of ink,
as do the printing of photos, so the color cartridge is rapidly running low.
My question to you all is this.  I notice ink in the interior after all this
cleaning and have sopped up some with Kleenex.  Wondering if I am causing
long range problems with the printer itself?  And wondering if it is o.k. to
take a Q-tip and alcohol and do a better clean up job?  If I do this are
there areas I need to avoid? Or should I totally ignore the ink that I see
in there?
Sure would appreciate advise from all you knowledgeable people out there.
Sandi