-=PCTechTalk=- Multiple Questions/Problems (mouse and router)

  • From: "zat" <zzzatso@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 06:15:37 -0800

OK, first I replaced my malfunctioning USB optical mouse. It was a Logitech,
I now have a Kensington USB optical mouse. Here's the deal: With the
Logitech mouse the program that controlled the mouse (Task Manager view) was
em-exec.exe (MouseWare). With the Kensington mouse it's kmw_run.exe
(Kensington MouseWorks). There's another program that runs with the mouse,
it's kmw_show.exe. What is it and how do I stop it from running? It's not
listed in startup (msconfig) or under Services. A complete registry search
turned up nothing. kmw_show also uses almost 5MB of memory.

Next is my router. I switched modems, used to have an Intel USB DSL modem.
Now I've got one that plugs into the Ethernet port.What I'm attempting to do
is map ports threw the router. I can get the TCP port mapped fine but the
UDP port won't map. I've went to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
(Shields UP! - Internet Vulnerability Profiling,  Steve Gibson's site) and
the TCP port shows as closed but the UDP port shows as stealthed. I've done
the test with ZoneAlarm Pro running and with it shut down. Same readings
either way. So how can I get the UDP port mapped? OS is WinXP Pro and the
router is an Actiontec DSL Gateway model R1524SU.  Also, with the ports
mapped will that make me vulnerable to a hacker? Should I still  have
ZoneAlarm running? This issue is for WinMX, until I can get the ports mapped
I can't run a Primary connection, I have to run a Secondary connection.

thanks,
zat