-=PCTechTalk=- More On Hard Drives

  • From: "Barnstoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:59:23 +0100

Or should that be moron hard drives??

As you may know if you tune in to the rubbish I usually post here, my IBM
Deskstar 80gb hard drive failed on my at the weekend only 1 year after it
was installed. Annoying and inconvenience aside, I thought I'd do a bit of
digging on this..after all, anything with IBM's name on it would, you think,
be more reliable than that, right...

What I found was shocking...

Seems this range of hard drives has had major problems in all it's sizes..so
much so that it has now been christened the IBM Deathstar!!

Here are just a couple of links to information about the prroblems people
have had..there is lots more out there

http://www.storagereview.com/php/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=DeathStar

http://www.pheuron.de/deathstar.htm

If you are running one of these hard drives, you must read these pages and
apply the firmware upgrade as soon as you can to avoid 'The Click Of Death'.

Cheers

Andy