-=PCTechTalk=- More Firewall

  • From: "DH (Rick) Holmes" <hayvan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 09:23:47 +1200

I have dumped ZA and tried Outpost, but won't comment on it at the
moment. Currently I have Sygate running. It seems to do the job OK, but
there are quite a few popup messages that I can't understand. For instance:

"Win32Kernel core component is trying to broadcast to [239.255.255.250].
 Do you want to allow this program to access the network?"  A whois
search refers to Internet Numbers Assignment Authority, and amongst the
jargon that is dispayed is the following:-

"This block is reserved for special purposes.
            Please see RFC 3171 for additional information."

To be honest, I have no idea what the Win32kernel component is, what is
meant by 'broadcasting' and more importantly whether I should give
permission or not?  Is there a general rule for these messages from Sygate?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Rick.