-=PCTechTalk=- If you are looking for a low-cost tablet

  • From: "Larry Southerland" <larrysoutherland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <the_bullhorn2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <thebullhornsbest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Puters_N_Such@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:31:24 -0500

Forget the Amazon Kindle Fire, the BB PlayBook is now the best low cost
tablet

By Matthew Miller <http://www.zdnet.com/search?q=3Dmatthew+miller>  | =
February
23, 2012, 5:45am PST

and
makes it excellent. I am a huge fan of the 7 inch form factor and am =
pleased
to see the PlayBook finally where it should have been last year.

 <http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/playbook_navigator.jpg>
http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/playbook_navigator.jpgThanks in large part to =
the
success of the Amazon Kindle Fire, the Android tablet market
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer/android-tablet-market-share-u=
p-1
0-ipad-down-10-through-2011/5430>  is finally heating up and starting to
impact Apple iPad market share. With the new OS 2.0 update available for =
the
BB PlayBook, I recommend people seriously consider one for $199 instead =
of
the $199 Amazon Kindle Fire if they are looking for more of a tablet =
than an
ebook reader.

The Kindle Fire
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer/amazon-kindle-fire-vs-b-n-noo=
k-t
ablet-is-there-a-clear-winner-review/5255>  is excellent if you want the
ultimate Amazon experience, but if you want a richer tablet experience =
then
check out the updated PlayBook. You can get the Amazon experience on the
PlayBook, but you can=92t get the PlayBook experience on the Kindle =
Fire.
These devices share a common look and feel, which is one reason I loved =
the
Kindle Fire since I find the PlayBook design and form factor to be =
extremely
desirable. In addition to the slick UI of the QNX-based PlayBook OS, you =
can
now run Android apps on your PlayBook so you get the best of both worlds
with a much more powerful piece of hardware.

Advantages of the PlayBook over the Kindle Fire include:

*       Dual high quality cameras and a microphone
*       Bluetooth wireless radio
*       Integrated GPS
*       HDMI out (outputs EVERYTHING, unlike the iPad)
*       Dual stereo speakers
*       1GB of RAM and more internal storage (16, 32 or 64 GB compared to
8GB)
*       Seamless connectivity with BB smartphone
*       Fast, powerful web browser made even better in the 2.0 update
*       Much nicer user interface

At $200 for both the Kindle Fire and the 16GB PlayBook, it really is a
no-brainer to pick up the PlayBook instead now that OS 2.0 is out that
addresses most of the original shortcomings. I bought a 16GB model to =
test
out this week at Best Buy, but am enjoying it so much I just ordered a =
64GB
model online and will be returning the 16GB one in a few days. The next
thing you know I will be getting another BlackBerry smartphone :)

The Android apps available in BlackBerry App World are slowly rolling =
out
and so far I have loaded up Dolphin Browser, YouVersion Bible (works
perfectly on the PlayBook), and Angry Birds Seasons. My friends at
CrackBerry also have some great discussion forums that show you how to =
get
the Kindle, Dropbox, Google Maps, and much more sideloaded onto your
PlayBook. They have another post that lists .bar files for
<http://crackberry.com/how-sideload-android-apps-playbook-os-v20-use-andr=
oid
-app-player> Android apps you can install
<http://forums.crackberry.com/android-app-sideloading-f258/made-list-link=
s-2
43-bars-689706/>  on your BlackBerry PlayBook.

Another cool promotion for the OS 2.0 update is the free versions of =
Modern
Combat 2 and Asphalt 6 Adrenaline that RIM has available in BB App World
right now. I encourage you to go and download these before the offer is
gone.

Related ZDNet content

*       BlackBerry PlayBook; a good reason to buy a BlackBerry smartphone
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer/blackberry-playbook-a-good-re=
aso
n-to-buy-a-blackberry-smartphone/4632>=20
*       RIM BlackBerry PlayBook is a compelling choice at $199
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer/rim-blackberry-playbook-is-a-=
com
pelling-choice-at-199/5286>=20
*       Amazon Kindle Fire vs. B
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer/amazon-kindle-fire-vs-b-n-noo=
k-t
ablet-is-there-a-clear-winner-review/5255> &N Nook Tablet: Is there a =
clear
winner? (review)
*       BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0: D=E9j=E0 Vu?
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/blackberry-playbook-os-20-dj-vu/19919> =

=20

in the Subject.