-=PCTechTalk=- G-Man, I took your advice

  • From: "cajun12" <cajun12@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 06:41:18 -0500

G-Man,

I HAVE to run IDE hard drives in the RAID area whether I'm running RAID =
or not.  There is only one IDE plug (and a Floppy plug) on the board =
that is not in the RAID area and that is for IDE peripherals (CD-ROM, =
Zip, etc.).  The manual specifically states NOT to run your hard drives =
on that plug, and NOT to run IDE peripherals in the RAID area plugs.  I =
am aware that this means I am running a RAID configuration, whether or =
not it is with two hard drives.

I know you like pictures, so see motherboard here:  =
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?Pr=
oductID=3D2255&ModelName=3DGA-8I915P%20Duo

Enlarge the view and you will see the coral colored peripheral IDE plug =
in the bottom at the center, near the IDE peripherals in the case.  The =
two neon green IDE plugs are near the hard drives next to the 4 SATA =
plugs and floppy plug, and are near the bottom of the board where the =
hard drives are.  It supports SATA RAID and IDE RAID.  The board came =
with an IDE RAID Function manual that shows a chart for installing the =
Hard Drives.  This chart shows that if you are using just 1 hard drive, =
set it as Master and plug it into IDE Channel 1 in the RAID controller =
area, which I've done.  I have RAID turned off in the BIOS.  It also =
explains that you must transfer the RAID drivers to floppy and install =
them during the Windows installation in order for the hard drive to be =
"seen," but this did not work.  I tried two different floppies and had =
no problem installing the drivers from them after I got XP on the drive =
by plugging it into the IDE plug outside of the RAID area.  In the BIOS, =
I have SATA RAID/AHCI disabled, and On-Chip RAID set to Auto.

dj