-=PCTechTalk=- Fw: Re: BestBuy Bargains!

  • From: "Hank" <hdka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:51:02 -0500

I went back looking and found this about debit cards.
"Government regulations require debit card issuers to set a maximum
liability of $50 if the debit card is reported lost or stolen within two
days of discovery. Liability increases to $500 if the lost or stolen debit
card is reported within 60 days. Neglect to notify the bank of the theft
within 60 days after a bank statement is sent, and you could lose everything
in your checking and overdraft accounts.

Check with your financial institution about your liability. Many issuers
offer consumers better protection than what is required in government
regulations. One type of check card offers consumers "zero liability" in
cases of fraud, theft, or other unauthorized card usage if reported by the
cardholder within two business days after discovery. After the two-day
period, the cardholder could be liable for a maximum of $50. Some other
cards limit consumers' liability for fraudulent use of stolen debit cards to
$50."