-=PCTechTalk=- Forwarded AOL mail mystery unraveled

  • From: Foxhillers@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:30:57 EDT

Hiya all
   Well, to try to get to the bottom of this AOL forwarded messages arriving
as attachments to non AOL users, I just had a chat with AOL Tech Support.  See
below.
mjh

AOLTechAVL has joined this session!
Hello, mjh. Welcome to Live Technical Support. My name is Axle.
Foxhillers stated the question or problem as: Do email messages sent to
someone using the FORWARD function get sent as attachments to those NOT AOL
subscribers?.
Are you contacting us about the computer you are using? You said: yes.
AOLTechAVL: Pleased to meet you, Mjh.
Foxhillers: Hiya Axle
AOLTechAVL: With regards to your question, I am not sure about the other ISP
but as far as I am concern they will appear only as a normal email not an
attachment.
Foxhillers: I am on a Tech group where many report that Forwards from their
AOL friends come as attachments.
AOLTechAVL: Are there any links on the email they are forwarding?
Foxhillers: I do not know, why would that make a difference?
AOLTechAVL: Yes, sometimes other ISP's detect the links on the email as an
embedded or attachment.
AOLTechAVL: such as on yahoo.
Foxhillers: So, then, in those instances, the Forwarded email WOULD/COULD be
received by a non AOL user as an attachment.
AOLTechAVL: I am not familiar with other email server, but I am sure that is
the cause of the problem.
Foxhillers: Thanks, Axle. Bye
AOLTechAVL: You're most welcome. Please feel free to come back here anytime
you have a question or concern regarding the AOL software and its service. :-)

MJH