-=PCTechTalk=- Flashing the BIOS

  • From: Lacey <stormy1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:13:22 -0700

Hi gang,

Another machine, another problem.... this one is behaving very sporadically
as far as booting up without CMOS problems -- sometimes it thinks it has a B
drive (it doesn't) sometimes it can't remember where to find the CDRom, and
most times it has a IRQ static resource conflict and I have to hit F1, go
into setup and "remind" it where everythign is -- then it works find until
next boot up.

I asked one of our tech guys at work and he recommended flashing the
bios..... so how exactly do I do this? I've spent the last few hours going
from website to website and all I've figured out is that I have to find out
who makes the motherboard and get hte update file and utility from them.

I did come across a handy little diagnostic that tells you all the specs for
your motherboad but it still doesn't tell me where to find it or who made
it. Below I've cut & pasted the text file -- hoping maybe someone here can
translate it and tell me how to do this!

Thanks -- Lacey
PS: Even though the Bios Type says American Megatrends on their site they
say that: If the first number of the second set of numbers is:1, 2, 8, or a
letter - it is a NON-AMI Taiwanese manufactured motherboard  (that means
mine!)

======================
Text file from BIOS Diagnostic
======================
BIOS Date: 07/15/95
BIOS Type: American Megatrends
BIOS ID:   51-1213-001437-00111111-071595-UT801X-001_10_UTRON
OEM Sign-On: Release 12/15/1997 S
Chipset:   OPTi 82C861 rev 16
Superio:   SMC 669 rev 0 found at port 370h
OS:        Microsoft Windows 98 SE  Version: 4.10.2222  A
BIOS ROM In Socket: Unknown
BIOS ROM Size: Unknown
CPU Type:  Unknown
CPU Speed: Unknown