-=PCTechTalk=- Firefox won't load

  • From: "Sandi Beach" <sandib2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pctechtalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 21:19:20 -0500

This morning Firefox would not load.  The pointer briefly turns into a
"busy" icon but quickly returns to being a pointer.  At about the same time
I noticed AVG running a scan.  I investigated and it had completed the
scheduled scan but was doing another scan and had been running a very long
time.  I could not determine what or why it was scanning so I stopped the
scan.  I recall a few days ago that Firefox updated itself (it is programmed
to do that).  Something must have happened and it did not complete or became
corrupted.  I am about to do major surgery and uninstall both Firefox and
Firefox Preloader and reinstall.  I did try running CleanUp and then
CHECKDSK but this did not help.  IE is working but I have Firefox set as my
default browser.
Is my plan a good one or is there something else I should try?  Does Firefox
have a Repair function? (Running Windows XP Pro.)
Sandi

in the Subject.