-=PCTechTalk=- FREELISTS/YAHOO... PCTECHTALK IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:29:30 -0400

In case anyone didn't notice, the Freelists servers were down for several days.
As a backup, we went to our former Yahoo Group list. Unfortunately, we have
members that are on the Freelists group, but not the Yahoo group. So, if you're
email address wasn't on the Yahoo list, there was no way of knowing that we
temporarily reverted to the Yahoo list.
First of all, if you're on the Freelists group, it is recommended that you sign
up to the Yahoo group as well. This is not mandatory. This is YOUR option. The
only reason to do so is so if the Freelists group goes down again, you can
still continue benefitting from the group with the backup list.

Second... if you're already on the Yahoo group, take note that if you have your
message options set to NO MAIL, you will not know if we revert to the backup
Yahoo group. INDIVIDUAL EMAIL is the recommended setting for the Yahoo group.
Even if you prefer digests, we don't use the Yahoo group except as a backup, so
you'll only get messages if the Freelists group goes down, hence knowing that
this has happened.

If you prefer not to use the INDIVIDUAL EMAIL settings in Yahoo, then at least
use the SPECIAL NOTICES setting. This way, if the Freelists group goes down,
and one of the mods makes the annoucement that we've reverted to the backup,
you'll get our message.

Third... if you're on the Yahoo group and not the Freelists group, then you've
probably already noticed that we've moved from Yahoo (long time ago). So, no,
the Yahoo list was never cancelled, rather it has moved to a better server. If
you like the knowledge obtained from the group, it is recommended you too make
the move and sign up at Freelists.org.

Freelists is now back up. It seems that any posts made while Freelists was down
just got posted late, after the server came back up... the reason you might be
getting back-dated PCTechTalk mail. No fear there.

The Yahoo group will now cease from accepting posts again. So, please continue
using the Freelists group.

In summary...

If you need to sign up to the Yahoo list, go here:

If you need to sign up to the Freelists group, go here:
//www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk

If you're having trouble with EITHER list, or simply have questions, you can
email me direct, or you can contact the mods at:

PCTechTalk-mods@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

or

PCTechTalk-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hope this clears up a lot of questions.