-=PCTechTalk=- Explorer replacement

  • From: The Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PCTechTalk - Freelists <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:18:27 -0400

Hi group!
Just to let y'all know I'm back.  Poor Troth has been alone for a
while <chuckle>  Life has been a little dicey of late.  My step-mother
passed away two weeks ago from cancer.  I went on a welcome vacation
immediately following the funeral.  Golf in Tenn. and then off to our
second home in Scottsdale for more golf and relaxation.......vacation
was wonderful.

While I was gone, I had a little time to try another file manager
program.  I'd been using 2xExplorer which is free, and lately a
program called FileQuest XP Gold.  Both are fine programs.  2xExplorer
worked quite well but lacked some additional refinement I wanted.
FileQuest was great, but a bit slow and did not refresh file lists as
I'd like it too.  I got the "itch" to try another based on a review I
read about 2xExplorer (a good review) in which the author rated it
against his all time favorite, Directory Opus.  I'd never heard of the
program and was intrigued.

To make a long story short............dang!!  It's a great little
program.  It has all the extra features of FileQuest Gold including
multiple panes, preview frames, zip management, etc.  It's also faster
and has a very polished installation and look.  It also has a very
powerful search capability.....fast and with lots of filters and
options.

If you're interested, give it a trial.......costs nothing to
experiment!

Directory Opus V6.2.5.8

US$59  (don't be alatmed by the prices on the site, they are
Australian Dollars)

http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

The site description is shown below.   Have fun kids!

  Regards from the
"Keyboard Cowboy",
         ,,,,,,,,
         Ô¿Ô¬
   Cincinnati, Ohio
Scottsdale, Arizona
---------------------------------
Tuesday, 9/2/2003, @ 09:55:19 EST
---------------------------------

A file manager is, at its simplest, a utility program which presents
lists of files and allows the user to perform actions of some kind on
those files. File managers are useful for moving files between
folders, making backup copies of files, viewing pictures and playing
sounds, running other utility programs on lists of files, deleting
unwanted files and many other "housekeeping" tasks.

Directory Opus goes beyond the simple file manager metaphor, and
offers you a complete replacement for Windows Explorer plus many other
programs for handling FTP, ZIP, Viewing files and images, running
slideshows and more. It provides you with all this within
user-friendly and fully-configurable environment within which you can
access and manage your important data with a minimum of effort.
Harness the power of your computer like never before!

 Designed for Windows: Directory Opus 6 has been designed and written
from the ground up especially for Windows. Full support for all
Windows Operating Systems from Windows 95, 98, ME to W2K and XP.

 Familiar Interface: Unlike many other file managers, Directory Opus
defaults to an Explorer-compatible user interface. You can immediately
begin using Directory Opus, with no learning curve, because it will
feel extremely familiar and comfortable to you. But, you will find
that you can easily configure the interface to fully personalize your
system including the use of dual file displays or multiple displays
for special folders.

 Fully Configurable Menus, Toolbars and Hotkeys: Directory Opus
supports unlimited menus and toolbars. Toolbars can be attached to any
side of a Lister display or can be independent free-floating windows.
Directory Opus supports user-configurable hotkeys, both for use within
Opus, and globally throughout the system. The Windows key is also
fully supported!

 Built-in ZIP and FTP Support: Throw away your external ZIP and FTP
programs - Directory Opus lets you access ZIP files and FTP sites as
easily as local folders! You can copy files from anywhere and to
anywhere - even from an FTP site straight into a ZIP file!

 True Multitasking: The object-orientated multi-threaded design gives
you unheralded power to perform multiple operations at the same time.
Why should you have to wait for your computer to finish? Now you can
begin one task and immediately move on the the next. Zip one folder
whilst unzipping into another, at the same time as you are downloading
files from a remote FTP site and copying yet more files between your
local folders, independently and reliably.

 Support for Common Image and Sound Files: Directory Opus supports
most common image and sound file formats. It provides a quick yet
powerful image viewer which lets you view your pictures without having
to load a large paint program! It also provides a Thumbnails-style
view of your folders, which lets you preview a large number of images
and quickly locate the one you are looking for.

 Built-in Viewer Pane: Quickly view pictures, text files and other
types of files in the Opus Viewer pane directly the Lister. DOpus
supports a viewer plug-in driver system so you can add new drivers for
the specific file formats you wish to view as they become available.

 Powerful built-in Viewers Plug-Ins: Directory Opus comes with
powerful in-built plug-ins for the viewers which can give you the
ability to instantly view images, text files, ZIP files, Word and
Excel documents, Acrobat files and many other types of files.

 Enhanced Support for Digital Images: More than any other file
manager, Directory Opus give you full access to the hidden details of
the EXIF format for images from digital cameras. You can now sort
images by any field and view all the information about your photos
from shooting time, shutter speed, aperture, subject distance,
metering type and more...

 Enhanced Finding and Searching: Directory Opus lets you quickly
locate the files you need, with an extremely powerful search system.
Does Explorer let you search for Led Zeppelin MP3 files recorded at a
bit rate of 160 sometime between last Thursday and today? Opus does!

 Powerful Internal Command Set: With Directory Opus you are not just
limited to functions given to you by the programmer. Directory Opus's
functions are built upon the most powerful file management command
language available in any file manager. You can harness this easily to
create your own functions commands to perform the actions that YOU
want to do.