-=PCTechTalk=- Dual Monitors on Dell Optiplex

  • From: "Cajun" <cajun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTechTalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 21:02:39 -0500

A friend who knows next to nothing about computers ordered one of the Dell
Optiplex computers through a corporation group buy.  I'm not sure what model it
is, but it looks like the GX260.  It came with two flat panel 17" monitors,
which are used by the corporation.  Hers is for home use and she does not need
two monitors, but she was told that she HAD to order it that way through the
corporation.  I've never used two monitors before, so I'm not familiar with the
setup.  The monitors are connected to the computer via a split cable whose pin
connector is 2-3 times longer than a regular monitor cable's.  I totally
unplugged and disconnected one of them.  I unplugged the other one from the
split cable and plugged it directly into a regular monitor port at the top of
the case, but there was no video.  When I plugged it back into the splitter
cable, there was video.
Would the regular monitor port be disabled?  Is there a setting on the
motherboard or in some software that determines which port is the default?

Cajun